Hitting the Trails? Heed These Hiking Tips
Hiking Tips for Safety and Comfort
National and state parks are popular destinations among RVers, and their hiking trails offer an excellent opportunity to get closer to nature and enjoy some unparalleled views. However, it’s important to keep safety and other considerations in mind. Here are a few valuable hiking tips to help you prepare for your next outing:
- Be sure to review the park’s rules and regulations ahead of time. If you travel with a pet, be aware that pets may not be allowed on some trails.
- Make certain you have park information and maps with you before starting your hike.
- Bring a cell phone in case of emergency. However, be aware that you may not have coverage in some areas, so always share your plans and route with a non-hiker before you leave.
- If you’ll be hiking in the summer or in warmer climates, begin your hike early in the morning to beat the heat.
- Ask park rangers about the local wildlife, and seek their advice if there is a possibility of encountering any potentially dangerous species.
- Bring plenty of water; you should plan for a minimum of 2-3 liters per person. When a third of your water is gone, your hike is half done. Always have extra water available when heading back in case you get lost or delayed.
- Wear hiking boots that have ankle support and a good tread, and bring bandages in case you develop blisters.
- Wear sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat for protection from the sun, and keep in mind that the sun’s ray can penetrate the tree cover in forested areas.
- Always heed parking restrictions. Parking outside of designated areas may result in your vehicle being ticketed or towed. Also, be sure to secure your valuables out of sight or take them with you for safekeeping.
Nature hikes can prove to be some of the most memorable and enjoyable activities on your RV adventures, providing you follow these recommended hiking tips. With a bit of advance preparation and awareness, you can make sure your next hike is a positive experience for all.
Visit Us at Lazydays Tampa or Tucson
Before you head out on your next nature hike, come see us at Lazydays RV if you’re near Tampa or Tucson. Shop our huge inventory of new RVs, receive expert RV service and maintenance, and relax at onsite camping resorts.