Fourth of July cookouts are one of the holiday’s most enjoyable traditions. And there’s no better way to end a tasty Fourth of July meal than with an extravagant red, white and blue desert. This “Surprise Inside Independence Day Cake” is guaranteed to impress all of your friends and family at the campsite with its festive red, white and blue interior.
Surprise Inside Independence Day Cake
What you’ll need:
- Cooking spray
- 1 package white cake mix (18.25 ounces)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 package instant French vanilla pudding mix (3.5 ounces)
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 drop blue food coloring
- 1 drop red food coloring
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 8 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon clear imitation vanilla extract
- Preheat your RV oven to 350 degrees. Spray three 9-inch cake pans with the cooking spray.
- Beat the cake mix, instant pudding, water, eggs and vegetable oil together with an electric mixer in a large bowl. Continue mixing until batter is smooth.
- Divide the cake batter into three small bowls. Tint one bowl of batter to your desired shade of blue and tint the other bowl red. Pour each bowl of batter into its prepared cake pan.
- Bake the cakes in the preheated oven for about 10 to 15 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool for roughly 10 minutes after removed from the oven, then turn them out onto three separate pieces of plastic wrap. Move them to a clear working surface to finish cooling.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, butter-flavored shortening, salt and imitation vanilla with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add 1 cup of confectioners’ sugar at a time and continue beating. Mix in the cream until the frosting is smooth.
- Slowly lift the red layer of cake using the plastic wrap and place it on a cake plate. Remove the plastic wrap and frost the top.
- Place the blue cake on top of the red one and frost again. Top the cake with the white layer and frost the top and sides.